From j-gkrog–(at)–arib-link.net Sun Jun 6 11:57:52 CDT 1999
Article: 183117 of alt.guitar.amps
From: “Jonathan Krogh”
Subject: Re: My Super Reverb won’t distort !
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 18:19:25 -0400
Organization: Carib-Link Ltd.
References: <19990605122815.26419.0000147--(at)--g-ch1.aol.com> <19990605152234.20358.0000102--(at)--g-xa1.aol.com> <37598F2A.389--(at)--rols.com>
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3110.5
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3
Xref: geraldo.cc.utexas.edu alt.guitar.amps:183117
Tom wrote in message <37598F2A.389--(at)--rols.com>…
>For a real laugh, look at the Fender sales propaganda from that
>time….they always talk about high-power without distortion….as far
>as I can tell, its NEVER been true for an amp cranked-up.
Well then, you’ll get a kick out of this, here is a retype of the original
operating manual of Traynors YAB1 Bassmaster, which started out as a clone
copy of the JTM45 and 5F6A bassman.
BASSMASTER (YBA-1) OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
l. Connect YBA-1 out put marked speaker to your speaker cabinet using the
2. Plug power cord into wall outlet.
3. Make sure “on/off” switch is on.
4. Leave standby switch off for about one minute while tubes warm up, and
Bassmaster is ready for use.
USE OF THE FOUR INPUTS AND CONTROLS
1. The Bassmaster has two channels, each having two inputs.
2. The first channel is a bass channel (although rhythm guitar players often
to the second channel) and is designed for bass. The lower input has more
the upper input.
3. The second channel is more powerful and has a clearer sound. It is
guitar, the lower input is more powerful than the upper input.
4. Each channel has its own volume control.
5. When using the Bassmaster you may have noticed that while playing through
channel the other channel’s volume control affects the sound of the channel
that you are using. This is a design feature and many interesting results
obtained by experimenting with various settings.
6. The volume control of the channel being used should be turned up until a
amount of distortion is heard in the speakers and then turned slightly back.
This is the
optimum volume setting and the best projection will be obtained at this
Turning the amplifier up any louder will only result in the destruction of
7. The treble control acts in the same manner as any other treble control
and the same
applies to the bass control.
8. Added features of the Bassmaster are the high and low range expanders.
control change the tonal colouring of the amplifier to such a wide extent
that it makes
the Bassmaster one of the most versatile amplifiers on the market today.
9. To adjust the four tone controls set them all to their mid position.
your instrument to the desired channel, and adjust the volume control for
(the other volume control should be left at zero).
10. Starting from left to right while playing adjust the treble, bass, low
expander, and high range expander. Experimentation will find the most
11. Between sets leave the amplifier on “Standby”. The keeps the tubes
warmed up and
allows you to use the amp instantly by simply turning the standby on.
NEVER TURN THE AMPLIFIER ON WITHOUT FIRST CHECKING TO SEE THAT THE SPEAKER
CONNECTED CORRECTLY. SERIOUS DAMAGE MAY RESULT FROM IMPROPER USE.
The Bassmaster (YM-1) may be used with a variety of speakers Here are the
l. YBA- 1 with single fifteen inch speakers (YS-15). The design is used
bass but may be used for guitar.
2. YBA-1 with single eighteen (YB-18A). This combination is excellent for
where a superb Bass sound is required.
3. YBA-1 with twin twelve (YT-12). A very biting sharp sound can be obtained
speaker cabinet, It should be used with guitar only as bass will destroy the
These speakers have so much treble sensitivity that a hissing sound may be
the treble controls are set at their extreme position.
4. YBA-1 with twin fifteen (YT-15). A very good deep bass sound can be
using this setup. It can be used for either bass or guitar. It has found
limited use for
5. YBA-1 with four tens (YF-10). Less bass, but more punch is the result of
tens, which is also suitable for either bass or guitar.
6. When using the YBA-1 with an extension speaker, the extension speaker
be the same as the main speaker cabinet. Mismatching cabinets may cause an
in power distribution.
The Bassmaster amplifier was originally designed for bass players. Soon,
guitar players started using it and because of this the high range expander
included in the amplifier. The Traynor engineers work long
hours to produce an amplifier which is suitable for both bass and guitar.
results show in the superb quality of the Bassmaster.